Last summer, I had just come across Sarah Bessey’s blog when she asked readers, What is saving your life right now? What’s keeping you going and sane and thriving right this minute? A great question, one which I forgot about over a few months until Brenna D was reflecting on it just a few weeks ago. So I’ve been asking myself that question often lately: what is saving my life right now? And if I feel more in need of saving, what needs to be saving my life right now?
What has been saving my life these last few weeks?
- my supervisor and friend, Missy
- @Virtual_Abbey and their morning and evening prayers on Twitter
- caring for some friends who are also in need sometimes
- Gilmore Girls and knitting
- dear friend Jess, always only a phone call away
- Paxil (and this post by Jamie the Very Worst Missionary)
- reading Permission to Speak Freely by Anne Jackson
What do I need in February to help save my life?
- GRACE with myself.
- a haircut (check–and did it myself)
- fewer to-do lists
- exercise that is manageable
- coffee date moments
- time to process and come to conclusions
- healing habits: freedom to do them, not pressure
- less mindless internet time and more “mindless” relaxation time: coloring, knitting, piano–to let my mind wander and unwind while creating something
- old friends and new friends to know me and help me re-center